3 Psychological Techniques That You Must Use In Your Daily Life
Psychology is the study of mental processes and behaviour; it can be applied to many other things in life as well. It has a positive impact on people’s everyday lives such as reducing stress, increasing resilience, and promoting self-growth and wellbeing. Therefore, here are 3 psychological techniques that you must use in your daily life -
Play the music that fits your desired mood: Music is said to be the fastest technique by which one could change their mood. The happy, upbeat music causes our brain to produce chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin which brings up feelings of joy; calming music relaxes the mind and the body. Music acts as an instant therapy that can help one to manage stress, enhance memory and alleviate pain. According to a few types of research, listening to classical and soft music has a good impact on one’s memory.
Smile: If you are feeling a bit down, fake a smile. Faking a smile could help in improving the mood. When you smile, your brain releases tiny molecules called neuropeptides to help reduce stress. Smiling also releases chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin, where dopamine acts as a mild pain reliever and serotonin acts as an antidepressant. A study suggests ‘human happiness has a positive causal effect on productivity.
- PERMA: Dr. Martin Seligman uses the acronym PERMA to describe the key points that aim to flourish.
- P- Positive Emotions: It includes hope, interest, joy, love, compassion, pride, amusement, and gratitude. Positive emotions can be learned to improve well-being and it is also a prime indicator of flourishing. Ways to build positive emotions are spending time with the people you care about, doing activities that you enjoy, and listening to uplifting or inspirational music.
- E- Engagement: It is living in the present and focusing entirely on the task. Engagement occurs when a combination of challenge and skill is found. Ways to increase engagement are to participate in activities that you love and the one that allows you to live in the moment.
- R- Relationships- It refers to the feeling of being supported, loved, and valued by others. Ways to build relationships are to create a friendship with people you are acquainted with, join a class or group that interests you, and get in touch with people you haven’t spoken to or connected with for a while.
- M- Meaning- Another human quality is the search for meaning and the need to have a sense of value and worth. Having a purpose in life helps an individual to focus on what is important. Ways to build meaning are to get involved in a cause or organization that matters to you, try new creative activities to find things to connect with, and spend time with people you care about.
- A- Accomplishments: It refers to achievement, mastery, or competence. A sense of accomplishment is a result of working towards and reaching the goal, mastering an endeavor, and having self-motivation to finish what you set out to do. Ways to build accomplishment are setting goals that are realistic, achievable, and specific and reflecting on past successes.
A WORD FROM SOCIALLY SOULED
There are many more psychological techniques that one can use in their day to day life. Happiness is a state of emotional well-being that a person experiences when good things happen.