How to Become a Mental Health Counsellor
Individuals and communities could benefit from mental health counselling by addressing their emotional, behavioural, and mental health concerns in a safe setting with licensed mental health counsellors and professionals.
The duties and responsibilities of a mental health counsellor include diagnosing mental, behavioural, and emotional disorders, developing therapies, and providing treatment to Individuals, Couples, Families, Groups, and Specific populations such as children or the elderly.
Licensed mental health counsellors (LMHC) are one type of mental health counsellor. A licensed mental health counsellor addresses a wide range of mental health concerns and creates treatment plans for their clients to help them develop coping mechanisms and learn to live successfully with their diagnosis.
HOW TO BECOME A LMHC- Licensed Mental Health Counsellors
- Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree: Students pursuing a career as a mental health counsellor typically begin their studies with an undergraduate degree in counselling-related subjects such as psychology. Taking a mental health counselling curriculum that includes courses such as lifespan human development and abnormal psychology early in your program may help you advance to graduate school.
- Earn a Master's degree in Mental Health Counselling: Most states require a master's degree in counselling to become a mental health counsellor, though the name of this degree varies by program.
- Pursue a Postgraduate Diploma in Guidance and Counselling (Optional):A one-year diploma in guiding and counselling is another step a candidate could take to improve their counselling skills. This course is offered by a variety of institutions to help students improve their counselling skills while also gaining practical knowledge and certification in the field.
- Obtain a license:There are two ways to obtain a license in India. RCI has provided this license (Rehabilitation Council Of India). When you complete a minimum level of education from an RCI-certified university or institution, you will automatically be granted a license. In other countries, you must take entrance exams.
- Maintain Your Mental Health Counsellor License :As a licensed mental health counsellor, you may want to stay current on mental health trends and changes. Continued education may assist you in providing the best possible care for your client. As a result, your state may require you to earn continuing education hours regularly.
A Few Qualities Required To Become A Mental Health Counsellor :
- Communication skills
- Listening Skills
A WORD FROM SOCIALLY SOULED
In addition to the basic degree requirements, you'll need to have certain personal qualities like empathy, interpersonal skills, patience, resilience, good listening and communication skills, and, most importantly, a strong desire to help others. So, if you've decided to pursue a career in this field, take the first step and be the person people can turn to when they're in trouble.
Contact us if you need any information on psychology, psychology entrance tests, or if you need any guide or aid with psychology entrance exams.
heyy, I’m very much into psychology and hence I’ve opted for psychology in 11th grade along with pcb
i was hoping to know what entrance exams do I need to give to be able to pursue psychology after 12th (for bachelor’s degree) and then the masters
Trisha Jawrani on