It is said that crime is not inherited, it is learnt. The study of what makes our mind learn such behavior and why criminals act in a certain way is studied by a criminal psychologist. There are various techniques and tools that a criminal psychologist uses to understand the intentions and motives of a criminal. This field in psychology has emerged as an essential that would help law enforcement and courts. This will enhance their performance and they with help of their knowledge will help in encountering crimes and criminals.
There are various techniques that a criminal psychologist can use to understand their clients and improve their lives. In this blog we would share 5 such techniques in order to see how a criminal psychologist works.
- Criminal profiling: This is the first technique that a criminal psychologist uses in which they examine various crime scenes in order to understand the motives, intention, action and reaction of the criminal. A list is prepared that have characteristics which were shown by the offender on a particular crime. This helps in making a profile of the criminal to make apprehension of the crime easy and fast.
- Assessing individuals: This not only involves assessing the cognitive state of the victim but also of the accused. In this the psychologist assesses if the victim or the accused is mentally unfit which no one is aware including the victim or the accused themselves. This assessment involves gauging the strength, aptitude and intelligence level of the victim or the accused. This assessment also helps in understanding the various social, biological and environmental factors that are responsible for the particular behavior.
- Actuarial: In this type of technique the psychologist is required to to prepare any statistics that is related to the crime or the criminals, their nature, growth, development etc. This profits the government by reducing a particular crime and helps in preventing that crime. This helps the court to deal with a particular victim or criminal.
- Experimental research: This type of research is carried out by the psychologist in order to get in depth information about the crime. This is conducted on specific cases to get insight of the perspective of the criminal, the victim and of an eyewitness.
- Advisory: It is said that the advice of a criminal psychologist is of great significance in an investigation. The criminal psychologist examines the crime scene and studies the evidence from the crime scene. They then try to find the motive and the intention of the offender which helps the investigation to apprehend the criminal swiftly.
A WORD FROM SOCIALLY SOULED
In India criminal psychology is still at a very initial stage. There needs to be more funds and initiatives by the government to make this field a recognised one. This field can attract many young students and researchers can be carried out very efficiently. It is that field which studies the mind of the person from a criminal perspective helping out our law and the court.